Aftercare for your lip filler in Plano, Texas
Lip filler is a great way to improve the natural appearance of your lips and your face. Fillers, like Juvederm, can be used to add volume and adjust the shape of your smile. The doctors and team at DSA Dermatology in Plano, Texas, have helped countless patients restore their confidence with perfectly shaped, soft lips.
Using Juvederm to improve the appearance of your lips
Juvederm is a popular choice that provides safe and instant results. Made of hyaluronic acid, it is often used to add volume to thin and sagging lips. Results from Juvederm typically last for six to twelve months. Over time, patients may notice that their results last longer.
Getting the most from your treatment
Receiving lip filler is a relatively fast and comfortable experience. In most cases, the appointment is complete after just several minutes with only a few injections, and no downtime is required afterward. The DSA team provides the following advice for patients to speed their recovery time and reduce discomfort, swelling, or bruising.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 48 hours — An intense workout can increase your heart rate and blood flow, leading to increased swelling and bruising. Replace jogging or running, swimming, and other exercises with walking, yoga, or Pilates.
- Consider your medications — Blood thinners like aspirin and Ibuprofen can increase the chance of bleeding and bruising. Talk to your doctor if you’re prescribed to take these medications daily; otherwise, avoid them for the first two days following your treatment.
- Reschedule laser treatments — If you’re considering laser treatment, schedule it for at least two weeks after the filler injection. Lasers create heat which can cause the filler to break down and dissolve more quickly than expected.
- No lipstick — The pressure of applying lipstick can cause the filler to be displaced. (Similarly, kissing should be avoided, too!).
- Postpone cocktails — Drinking alcohol can increase swelling and bruising. Avoid alcoholic drinks the day before and the day after the procedure to minimize this. Instead, increase your water intake, which will help with the body’s natural healing process.
- Be careful when eating — Your lips may be numb for several hours after your treatment. Remember this when eating or drinking hot items. Even if your lips can’t feel the heat, they could still become burned. Also, take care to avoid biting your lips.
- Use ice — Use cold compresses to treat swelling. Wrap an ice pack or a bag of frozen vegetables in a light towel to avoid freezing the lips.
- Stay elevated — Use an extra pillow or sleep in an elevated position to prevent blood from pooling in the lips.
Following your treatment, swelling and bruising are expected but should resolve in several days. Most patients don’t experience any unexpected side effects from lip fillers. Should you experience side effects such as signs of infection, peeling of the lips, or cold sores, call the office and speak with your physician.
If you want to improve your appearance and confidence with lip filler, call DSA Dermatology at (972) 362-9567 today. Our team will take the time to understand your preferences and desired results and provide you with the best treatment option for your unique circumstance.