At DSA Dermatology, patients in and around the area of Plano, TX have access to a team of dermatologists who provide skin care solutions all year round! If you are located in the Plano community and are interested in learning from a professional about proper winter care for your oily or dry skin, we encourage you to schedule an appointment to discuss skin care solutions with our dedicated team. Dr. Daniel Achtman and Dr. Carmine McConnell can educate patients on the best way to improve their skin and keep it looking great all year long, no matter what the weather conditions.
During the initial appointment, Dr. Achtman or Dr. McConnell will provide a comprehensive skincare assessment. With an examination, we can determine if patients have oily skin, dry skin, or combination skin. Then, we work with them to find the right balance of treatments and products to enhance the skin and ensure it is treated appropriately in the dry, harsh winter months. Once the assessment has been done, recommendations regarding winter skin care can be made.
Winter skin care tips
Below are a few tips from our team regarding methods of skin care during the winter months:
- Increase your use of proper moisturizers during the winter months, including products that integrate hyaluronic acid, squalene, and ceramides. These are all dermatologist-approved ingredients that can maintain hydration to the skin.
- Avoid using astringents, toners, and exfoliators during the winter months to prevent drying of the skin.
- Always use moisturizers during the winter months, even if you have oily skin. There are moisturizers that cater to specific skin types, and our dermatological team can help you in choosing the most appropriate one for your skin.
- If you have acne, you should be careful not to irritate your skin during the winter months because it can cause unwanted acne flare-ups. Dryness and irritation can be improved with special oil-free moisturizers and sunscreens that are acne-friendly.
- Maintain your use of sunscreen, because even during the cloudy winter months, harmful UVA rays can still penetrate the skin and cause damage and aging effects.
- Use a sunscreen that has protective moisturizers, which is extremely beneficial during the drying winter months.
- Consider changing your routine in anti-aging products, as many of these can cause extra irritation during the wintertime.
- Consider hydrating facials available at our office that can improve skin that experiences chronic dryness. Our team can develop a facial most appropriate for your skin type to ensure proper moisturizing.
- Speak to the dermatologist about altering your skin care routine during the winter months to ensure your skin stays soft and supple. Skin care regimens should be evaluated each season by our dermatological team to change according to the weather. Most regimens are not appropriate for year-round use.
How can I develop a skin care regimen for the winter season?
Our dermatological team is here to help patients with a wide range of dermatology needs, including the development of a skin care regimen based on each individual patient’s skin type and tone. We can work with individuals to ensure their skin stays hydrated all year long, and we also offer a variety of treatments that can be integrated into a typical routine for improving conditions such as acne or eczema.
Each patient’s skin is unique, so Dr. Achtman and Dr. McConnell evaluate each individual and make recommendations based on their specific skin care needs. Most of our patients will find improvement in their skin’s appearance and texture in a short period of time after starting a skin care routine designed by their dermatologist. Additionally, we offer a variety of cosmetic services that can further enhance the skin right in our office, bringing brightness to your skin during the dull winter months.
Interested in recommendations for your skin tone and type?
If you are ready to speak to a dermatologist about skin care products and treatments that work best with your skin texture, tone, and type, we encourage you to book a consultation appointment with Dr. Achtman or Dr. McConnell.
At DSA Dermatology, we take great pride in helping patients establish a routine that improve their skin and helps them look and feel their best. Call the office at (972) 362-9567 or visit the practice at 5072 W. Plano Pkwy, Suite 150, Plano, TX to start taking charge of your skin, no matter the weather brings!
Why Choose DSA Dermatology?
At DSA Dermatology, we bring to you the best of not one but three leading dermatologists in Plano TX,
Dr. Achtman is a board-certified Dermatologist with over three decades of experience. Having graduated from the medical school of McMaster University, he also studied at the UTSW Medical Center in Dallas, TX where he also served as Chief Resident in the Department of Dermatology. In addition to possessing extensive training and experience in cosmetic enhancement techniques, Dr. Achtman is widely known as a leading expert in the diagnosis and treatment of various skin cancers. He is an active member of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. Dr. Achtman goes the extra mile to understand your medical concerns and to ensure that he helps you meet your unique aesthetic goals.
Dr. Carmine G. McConnell is a board-certified physician in Plano TX. Having been trained at McMaster University, Canada, she went on to earn her board certification in Texas. Having served as Chief of Staff of her department at Plano Medical Center, she has over two decades of experience in practicing medicine in her practice and while assisting Dr. Achtman in the practice of dermatology. In addition to her extensive postgraduate training in laser therapy and aesthetic surgery, among other procedures, she possesses vast experience in both cosmetic dermatological techniques and family medicine. As a conscientious and caring physician, Dr. McConnell provides her patients with customized non-surgical treatments to help address health and aesthetic concerns related to the skin. She is also keen on helping patients understand their skin and how it can be cared for and protected.
Dr. Jordan Achtman is a board-certified dermatologist in DSA Dermatology at Plano, TX. Dr. J. Achtman graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia and completed his residency in dermatology at UT Southwestern. His expertise spans general, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology. Dr. J. Achtman also has various special interests including chronic itch, infectious diseases of the skin, and the relationship between mental health and skin health. He is also very keen on helping patients form healthy skincare regimens and habits. In the hands of Dr. J. Achtman, you can be assured of innovative and cutting edge solutions for all your skin concerns.