Dermatologist in Plano, TX offers winter skincare tips and advise
At DSA Dermatology, our professionals are here to help you develop an appropriate skincare routine that works best for your individual needs. Not everyone’s skin is the same, and certain conditions can affect the way treatments work. Therefore, it is important for Plano, TX area patients to visit a dermatologist to discuss tips and tricks for keeping the skin healthy during the drier winter months. Drs. Achtman and McConnell of DSA Dermatology can advise patients as to the best ways to care for their skin to keep it healthy and moisturized all season long!
Tips for winter skincare
Below is a small sampling of common recommendations made by our team regarding the best ways to improve the skin during the winter season:
- Use moisturizers as often as possible, but make sure they are creams and ointments that are oil-based and not water-based. However, if oil based products do not agree with your skin and cause reactions such as acne outbreaks, we can help you by providing alternative products that contain ceramides (natural skin protectants), hyaluronic acid (water attracting molecules), or squalene (derived from olives that provide antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that will moisturize and not be oily or provoke acne). Water-based lotions are not nearly as moisturizing as oil-based lotions, and they can be irritating for dry skin. This is why other important ingredients may need to be incorporated into your program. At DSA Dermatology we understand the chemistry of skin and can tailor products that work for your type of skin!
- Avoid masks, peels, toners, and astringents that have an alcohol base. This is especially true for patients with dry skin. These types of products can strip natural oils from the skin and make conditions worse.
- Treat dry, chapped lips with petroleum jelly. There is no need to spend money on fancy, overpriced lip balms at the local drugstore when petroleum jelly is inexpensive and helps lock moisture into the lips. If this is insufficient, we suggest adding other moisturizing products as well. Remember not to lick your lips to moisturize them as it only causes further drying of the lips!
- After showers and baths, keep the bathroom door closed to trap humidity in the room. Blot your skin dry with a towel and then apply lotion immediately all over the body to lock in hydration. It is also recommended that you take short showers with warm, not hot, water and use a gentle cleanser.
- Protect exposed winter skin from the outdoor elements by using sunscreen on the face, hands, and other areas of the body. When it gets cooler, wear gloves outside, and remove wet socks and gloves as soon as possible, as they can make dry skin worse.
- If you are struggling with persistently dry and itchy skin, you should always apply moisturizing cream with an oil-based, or other moisturizing agents onto the hands routinely every day, even after washing your hands. This will help reduce flare-ups of certain conditions.
- If you have been diagnosed with skin conditions such as eczema, you will need to speak to a dermatologist about the best way to lock moisture into the skin to reduce flare-ups, which can be common during the winter months as skin gets dry. Patients should have a plan of action in place before the winter season hits, so they can transition their skin care regimen slowly.
Still dealing with dry skin after following these tips?
Some patients have conditions that worsen during the winter months that may require medical treatment. In situations such as these, Drs. Achtman and McConnell encourage patients to book an appointment at DSA Dermatology to discuss treatment options. In some cases, patients may have a condition that has not yet been diagnosed and are not educated in how to obtain proper care and to treat the condition with prescription medications which are sometimes needed for relief. Chronic dry skin is not normal, and with the help of our team, many patients are able to find relief all year long. We encourage patients to book an appointment with our practice to discuss their skincare needs throughout the seasons.
Find out how to care for your skin today with our professionals
Drs. Achtman and McConnell are professionals in Plano, TX who are available to assist with a variety of treatment options for patients in and around the community. If you live in the area and are interested in working with a team to determine the best treatment options for your skin, hair, nails, and body, we highly recommend you contact our team. We are conveniently located at 5072 W. Plano Pkwy, Unit 150, Plano at DSA Dermatology, and our front office team can book an appointment when you call us at (972) 362-9567. New patients are welcome in our practice and are treated as family.